This is a test site, not for public use

Information on this site may be out of date and is only intended for use by DBC staff for testing. The live website is available at:

This box is intentionally ugly!

Online Forms

Change of address

Use our change of address form if you are taking responsibility for a property in the Borough, moving from one business address to another or no longer responsible for a business property. If you are a Landlord or Letting Agent informing us of a change of tenant please use our Landlord Change of Tenant e-form.

Charitable relief and relief for Registered Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs)

Charities (and some other organisations) are entitled to relief from rates on any non-domestic property that is completely or mainly used for charitable purposes.

Registered CASCS are also entitled to 80% relief from rates on any non-domestic property that is completely or mainly used for the purposes of that club, or that club and of other such registered clubs.

Sports clubs generally do not have charitable status for non-domestic rates purposes, but they can apply for this status through the Inland Revenue. If they meet certain criteria they will then receive mandatory rate relief.

Small business rate relief

Relief is available to ratepayers who occupy:

  • only one business property in England with a rateable value below £15,000
  • one main business property and other additional properties, providing all the additional properties have individual rateable values below £2,900 and the total of the rateable values of all the properties is under £20,000 - relief will apply to the main property only.

There are two elements to the relief - eligible businesses will qualify for relief as follows;

  • the rate bill will be calculated using the small business non-domestic rating multiplier
  • businesses with rateable values below £12,000  will receive relief of 100% of their liability. Tapered relief of between 100% and 0% applies for properties with rateable values between £12,000 and £15,000.

The small business non-domestic rating multiplier for 2017/18 is 46.6p. The standard multiplier for 2017/18 is 47.9p

Where a property is eligible for charitable relief and small business relief, charitable relief only will apply. Where a property is eligible for rural rate relief and small business rate relief, rural rate relief only will apply. Any transitional relief will be applied before any small business rate relief is applied.

From the 1 April 2017 every occupied property with a Rateable Value of less than £51,000 will pay the lower multiplier of 46.6p in the Pound rather than the standard 47.9p for 2017/18 regardless of whether it is the ratepayer’s only occupied property, unless the rate payer is also in receipt of a mandatory rate relief.

We will automatically apply this lower multiplier to eligible properties - you do not need to do anything.

From April 2014 ratepayers receiving small business relief that take on an additional property which would previously have disqualified them from receiving relief, will continue to receive their existing relief for 12 months.

If you think you meet these criteria and you haven't already applied for small business rate relief then please contact us or complete an application form.

More information on small business rate relief [external link]

Rate relief for rural businesses

Certain types of business in rural villages, with a population below 3000 may qualify for rate relief of 100%

Businesses that qualify for this relief are the:

  • sole general store and the sole post office in the village, provided it has a rateable value of up to £8500
  • any food shop with a rateable value of up to £8500
  • the sole pub and the sole petrol station in the village provided it has a rateable value of up to £12,500

Unoccupied property rating

Business rates will not be payable in the first three months that a property is empty. This is extended to six months in the case of certain industrial properties. After this period rates are payable in full.

If your property is not capable of beneficial occupation – for instance, if it is in poor condition and cannot be economically repaired – the Valuation Office may judge it should be taken out of rating altogether.

The quickest and easiest way to find the rateable value of any non-domestic property in England is on the Valuation Office Agency website [external link]

Enquiries about your Business Rates

If you have an enquiry regarding your Business Rates please use our e-form below. Please make sure you include your Business Rates account number to help us deal with your enquiry.