This is a test site, not for public use

Information on this site may be out of date and is only intended for use by DBC staff for testing. The live website is available at:

This box is intentionally ugly!

Paying for Support

In light of the implementation of the Care Act 2014, Darlington Borough Council are reviewing their current policies and developing new policies in relation to Charging for Residential, Non Residential Services and deferred payment agreements. New draft policies have been out for consultation and equality impact assessments are being considered and prepared. During this period Darlington Borough Council will continue to charge for non-residential services under our existing policy and in line with the relevant Care Act Regulations and for Residential Services from the date of admission.

It is proposed that the new policies will be considered by Cabinet in October 2016 in order to enable a final decision to be made with a proposed implementation for November 2016 at the earliest.

If you have been assessed as needing support, the Financial Assessment Team will carry out an assessment with you to determine what you will pay for this support.

As part of the Self Directed Support Process we work out what people over the age of 18 have to pay for the support they receive to make sure that everyone is treated fairly. To do this a financial assessment will need to be completed to calculate how much you can afford to contribute towards the cost of your support. One of our Visiting Financial Assessment Officers will arrange to visit you to work out what this amount will be.

Paying for Residential or Nursing Care

If you need to go into residential or nursing care one consideration you will think about is the cost. Care homes will charge their own rate depending of the facilities and amount of support you need. You will need to contact the home directly for details of their charges. For more information see the Registered Care Homes in Darlington leaflet (rich text document) or visit the Care Quality Commission website [external link]

Adult Social Care will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help. The financial assessment will include your pensions or wages and any extra social security benefits you may be entitled to during your stay in the care home. Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment are not counted as part of your income.

Your savings are also considered. If your savings are over £23,250 you will have to pay the full cost of your stay in the home. Any savings between £14,250 and £23,250 will also be taken into account when we work out how much you will have to pay.

For more information on paying for residential and nursing care see the Charging For Residential or Nursing Home Accommodation leaflet (Text version, Rich text document or Print version, PDF document)

For more information on paying for residential or nursing care if you have property see the Charges for People with Property leaflet (Text version, Rich text document or Print version, PDF document)

Paying for services provided in the community

Darlington Adult Social Care, along with all other local authorities, must follow Government guidance when making decisions about how to operate their charging policy for home care (or non-residential) services, for example day care, personal care.

If you are assessed as needing support and want to apply to Adult Social Care for help towards the cost, then a financial assessment will need to be completed. Every financial assessment for non-residential services is completed within Darlington’s charging policy.

For further information on charging for non-residential care services please see the Charges For Services Leaflet (Text version, Rich text document or Print version, PDF document).