This is a test site, not for public use

Information on this site may be out of date and is only intended for use by DBC staff for testing. The live website is available at:

This box is intentionally ugly!

Mutual Exchange

MX Logo

What is a mutual exchange?

A mutual exchange is where a tenant swaps their current home with another council tenant or housing association tenant.

Who can apply?

  • A council tenant must be a Secure Tenant and not an Introductory Tenant. 
  • A mutual exchange can be agreed between eligible tenants anywhere in the country. To be eligible, you must have the ‘Right To Exchange’. Please contact your landlord if you are unsure if you have this right. You must also have a clear rent account and your property must be in a good state of repair.
  • You should also make sure that the property you wish to move to is in good condition as you will accept responsibility for any alterations to the property carried out by the previous tenant.
  • Tenants who live in an adapted property, in a bungalow or sheltered housing can only exchange with someone who needs this type of property.
  • To exchange tenancies, both tenants need written permission from their landlord before they arrange to move.

How to register to go onto the mutual exchange register?

  1. You can apply on line at
  2. You can complete the Mutual exchange application form [pdf document] and email it to

Once your application has been accepted onto the register, you can check the Compass website for any properties you are interested in. The website has simple step by step instructions for you to follow when you find a property you are interested in.

MX Swap List image Check out our swap list [pdf document]