This is a test site, not for public use

Information on this site may be out of date and is only intended for use by DBC staff for testing. The live website is available at:

This box is intentionally ugly!

Refuse and recycling bins and boxes

My bin is lost or stolen

You can order replacement wheeled bins, recycling bins, glass boxes and paper caddies. Like other councils, we charge a fee for each bin as it costs a lot of money to replace the large number of bins and boxes that go missing each year.  

My bin is damaged

If your bin is damaged, we will replace it for you. Our crews carry spare parts such as wheels, axles and lids so if they can repair your bin they will do this instead of replacing it.

If your bin is damaged by the crew, they will put a sticker on your bin or through the letter box to let you know. The accident will be reported and we will replace your equipment within 10 working days.

Moving house

If you move to a new build property where there are no bins call 01325 405111 and we’ll deliver everything you need.

If there is no bin or some of the equipment is missing when you move to an older house we will replace the items free of charge. You need to leave your bins at your old property when you move.

My bin isn’t big enough

Families of five or more can request a larger 360 litre bin free of charge. We will take your 240 litre bin away and swap it for a bigger one. If you have extra recycling we will provide an extra wheeled bin or box.

You must not leave extra waste by the side of your bin. We will not collect it and you could get a fixed penalty notice if you leave waste in a street or back alley. Any extra rubbish can be taken to the tip free of charge.

If you need to order replacement equipment, call Street Scene on 01325 405111

Ordering replacement equipment

How do I order and pay for a new bin?

Call Street Scene on 01325 405111. Payment must be made at the time of the request.

If I’m on benefits or a council tenant do I receive a discount?

No. All residents are charged if we need to deliver a replacement.

If I order and pay for a new bin where will it be delivered to?

Delivery will be within 10 working days and will be made to your home address. If you haven’t got a safe place where we can leave your equipment we will need you to sign for it. A safe place is a garden or drive, somewhere off the pavement or road. You can nominate a neighbour to take delivery for you.

Can I collect the equipment from you?

We have a small number boxes, paper caddies, lids and wheels at customer service centre at the town tall. You can call in to pay for these and take them with you. We don’t stock wheeled bins as they are too big.

I am not willing to buy a replacement bin. If I put black bags out on collection day will they be collected?

No. Due to the height of the wagons everything must go in a wheeled bin. This to prevent injury to the crew. Lifting waste by hand is a last resort.

If you refuse to pay for a replacement wheeled bin you may be served with a Section 46 notice under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and/or other relevant laws. The notice will require you to provide a bin for your waste. Failure to comply with this notice may lead to us issuing a fixed penalty notice and/or prosecution.

If you don’t want to pay to replace the bins you need to make alternative arrangements to recycle and dispose of your waste.

Charges for lost or stolen equipment

Charges for lost or stolen equipment
Replacement equipment item Charge
Standard 240L bin £19.80
Garden waste bin £19.80
Large 360L bin £50.30
Paper caddy £5.10
Glass recycling box £3.25
General recycling box (scheme B) £1.60
Lid for recycling box £1.35
Wheeled bin lid £4.95
Wheeled bin wheel £1.24

What other arrangements can be made to dispose of household waste?

You can take waste to the tip and recycling centre.

We also offerbulky waste collection, where you can pay for up to six large items to be collected for £17.69

 Please be aware that if you pay someone to take away waste for you, such as a ‘man with a van,’ you must check they have the correct waste disposal licenses and are planning to dispose of your waste properly. If your waste becomes a fly tip, you could be held responsible and even prosecuted, even if you have paid them in good faith.